Sunday, May 21, 2017

My First Few Weeks of Exercising (May 8th thru today)



I first joined the YMCA on May 3rd of this year. Mike joined a little earlier. They have a sliding scale membership and it took a few weeks to get my membership going, but I only have to pay a little over $11 a month to have a membership.

If you don't think you can afford a gym membership please check at your local YMCA.

Don't let the fact that they are a religious institution sway you from joining. I am not religious, but have a god of my understanding and not one person has ever struck up a conversation about religion inside.

We had decided on the YMCA because of the vast amount of programs and facility features they have for a gym. From separate locker rooms for everyone, (Adult/Children/Family changing/locker rooms) a pool, sauna and weight lifting machines to group classes, they have everything for everyone.

I am trying not to sound like an advertisement and even yesterday when I was leaving there were some people taking a tour and when I scooted past them I had to say, "It's awesome!!!!!" It's because they are awesome!!!

I know I said I joined on May 3rd, but hubby and I went camping that weekend so we didn't start working out until the following Tuesday.

May 9th - My very first class taken at the Y was called Fat Blast Cardio and is with a wonderful instructor named Amanda.  It was a great class that had me sweating.

May 10th - Wednesday morning I tried Zumba Gold. It is for beginners and seniors and helped me get down some of the steps as well as got me sweating. Bonnie was the instructor and she is very zesty! She is also the Fitness Director for the facility.

May 11th - Did a class called Deep Stretch Yoga with Leah. My stomach got very upset and I ended up throwing up in class. We figured it had something to do with the fact that I ate a tuna fish sandwich within an hour of class. I will never do that again.

May 12th - Took the day off as I still felt sick from the night before. I also learned about how in yoga toxins are being pulled out of your body, so now I believe it was a combo of eating and the toxins.

May 13th - 14th - Took these days off also.

May 15th - Morning Basic Step class. Again with Bonnie. I grabbed a higher step than I normally would because I knew I wouldn't remember all the steps and I wanted a better workout. It worked out really well and I sweated a lot.

May 16th - Fat Blast Cardio. I went a little early and walked the treadmill to warm up a little. (Mike does Tia Chi when I am doing this class and we warmed up together.) Amanda was sick, but the sub, Lisa was GREAT! Sweat City!!!

May 17th - Zumba Gold with Bonnie. This time another member I recently met (Her name is Marie!) was talking to me before class started and asked if I had taken the regular Zumba class yet. She said the instructor, Chris, was "hot". Hmmmm, well, who can turn down the opportunity to watch some hot guy teach you how to Zumba and exercise? I went to Zumba that night for the first time. WOW! What an incredible work out that was! He is hot, by the way. :)

May 18th - My first Pilates class with Rebecca. She says it is an intermediate class, but it is a really good class that helps your core. I even sweated in there. That night I went to my second Zumba class taught by Chris. You know they say you can lose over 800 calories per hour with Zumba? They are not kidding. WHEW..More sweat!!!

May 19th - Morning Zumba class. The instructor wasn't there and there was a sub named Charlotte. Okay, she could be my grandmother, but this does not stop the woman! Really fantastic instructor. Chris was there, taking the class and taught a few songs. More Sweat!

May 20th - I went to a morning class called PLUS - It is a supportive class for women who are shy about the gym and want support from other women who are trying to loss weight. I met Jewel for the first time, who runs the class. (She has a blog also and as soon as I get a link I will share.) It was only us, but she explained that she had recently taken a month off and I mentioned that since I had now started coming maybe others would. It is a slower paced class where we start by talking about our week and then we do circuit training. It got me warmed up for....yep....Zumba with Chris! Seemed like I sweated less in this class. Not sure if it was because I tried to take the class in my bare feet, but it was still an excellent class.

May 21 - Day Off!!

After doing this workout for the week I think I finally have my weekly schedule down.

MON- Simply Yoga
TUES - Pilates and Fat Blast Cardio
WED - Zumba Gold and Zumba and Deep stretch Yoga
THURS - Pilates and Zumba
FRI - Zumba and machine weight work
SAT - PLUS and Zumba
SUN - DAY OFF

We will see what gets added in or removed as time goes on.

Thank for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog